View Single Post
Old September 10 2012, 02:20 AM   #1020
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

136. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (A)
137. Three Colors: Red (A)

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: There's been some debate on this forum recently about this movie; some have suggested that it's overrated. Among Trek fans, perhaps this is true, but I still think it's a great movie. It's not without plot holes or overacting, but then again, neither is Casablanca. It was nice to see it on the big screen, too (at Walter Koenig's walk of fame celebration this weekend), although the DCP featured the same transfer used on the Blu-Rays, which suffers from inconsistent color timing (Regula is mostly blue in this version rather than red, as in the original; this is fine, I think, but a few shots retain the red coloring).

Three Colors: Red: Like the other two films in this trilogy, this is a simple story about a few people, but it's told with such beauty and craft that you couldn't possibly call it "uncinematic." I'm not sure which of the films is my favorite, but they're all excellent, and Three Colors: White certainly doesn't deserve its reputation for being boring. All three are thoughtful, engaging dramas.

Theatres: 46+1
Home Video: 82+1
Computer: 9

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote