View Single Post
Old September 9 2012, 11:19 PM   #218
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: 50TH Anniversary rumor

While there's been a lot of talk about bringing back old actors, what about bringing back some of the old writers like Terrance Dicks, Christopher H. Bidmead, Eric Saward, & Andrew Cartmel.

Methos wrote: View Post
also, i'd love to see Tennant return... but not as The Doctor...

Nah... I want to see Tennant return as the meta-crisis Doctor... coming back from the parallel world after Rose's death to reclaim his regenerations and his life, back from The Doctor...

Now calling himself The Valeyard after Rose's death, The Doctor must battle him for their remaining regenerations, as The Valeyard is the one person now who could undo everything The Doctor has done... the one person The Doctor can't lie to, and the one person who knows all of The Doctor's secrets...
No, no, the meta-crisis Doctor grew old, had a granddaughter, built his own TARDIS, and starred in the Peter Cushing movies. (Bernard Cribbins' character is actually one of Wilf's descendants in the parallel universe.)

Methos wrote: View Post
To me, that would be an amazing arc... seeing Tennant come back as the villain would cause so many fangirl heads to explode it would be amazing.
That would probably be super-obnoxious. To them, it would be combining the best elements of David Tennant with Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
No doubt the tabloids will be camped outside for when they film the 50th Anniversary episode(s) ready to take pictures. Of who will likely be in it.

So no doubt who's in it will leak long before the episode airs.
It would be a nice mindf$%k if they made some people up to look like all the earlier Doctors and trotted them past those cameras.

The only question is, how many fans' heads would explode?
It's a way of culling the excess fan population.

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Do you make a love letter to the fans of the series as a WHOLE, or make it more about the show as it is now?
No question you make it a love letter to fans of the series as a whole, since we're celebrating the 50th anniversary of the premiere of the original show in 1963. If you want to just center on the new series, you'd only have to wait a couple more years for the 10th anniversary of the premiere of the Christopher Eccleston series in 2005.

Personally, I think more should be done to educate the new fans on the show's rich history. Whenever I see any of these new retrospective specials on BBC America, I get frustrated that they mostly seem to be pedantic rehashes of the plots of episodes that most fans already know. Now, I suppose the real purpose of these specials is to educate the super-new fans who've never seen anything before. But still, I think specials like that would be a good way of giving new-series fans a good overview of the classic series; particularly for the new fans who don't have the patience to sit through the glacial pacing of most of the classic series.