View Single Post
Old September 9 2012, 06:05 PM   #20
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral
Location: ...But it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete, when I wore a younger man's clothes.
Re: Your favorite Xindi race?

I'm very fond of the Xindi; all of them, really. I liked the strange nobility represented in the Xindi Council; how these five races clearly can't stand each other (well, Arboreal/Primate and Reptilian/Insectoid seemed friendly enough, but beyond that...) and yet they remained truly committed to the idea of the Xindi as a unified people. After the homeworld was lost they could have fragmented, but they built the council instead. And throughout Season Three, there was a sense that they were trying to make it work. They're like a five-way racial feud sitting around pretending to be an alliance, and they no doubt have a regularly changing "[...] days without civil war" sign on the council door, but despite all this they're still in it together. That undercurrent of loyalty was definitely their most striking feature, and did a lot to convince me that they indeed had potential to one day join the Federation. And that, when the Xindi-Primate councillor said he thought the Reptilians would come back to the council eventually, he was right.

I think the Arboreals and Aquatics were my favourites; the slower-paced, more contemplative Xindi. Perhaps because Xindi were introduced as a military threat, and it was a good move to have two of the races seem far removed from the Proud Warrior Race trope; reinforcing the sense that it's a complicated situation, not just "aggressive race attacks".

It's a shame we never learnt very much about Xindi culture(s). From what we did get, the most interesting bits relate to how the Xindi races view one another. There's a good bit in one of the novelizations where a Primate has a string of racist observations: "The Reptilians thought with their brainstems, the Insectoids didn't think at all, and the Arboreals...they thought, all right, they thought about napping upside-down in trees".
We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, and the best of us is washed away.

Last edited by Deranged Nasat; September 9 2012 at 06:19 PM.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote