View Single Post
Old September 9 2012, 02:30 PM   #271
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

RandyS wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post

Not to mention Tron, Time Bandits, and Time After Time.

Heck, he's even in Titanic!
Twice as a matter of fact. Before David Warner played a fictional characters in the 1997 movie, he also played real life passenger Lawrence Beasly in 1979's SOS TITANIC.

Sorry to derail the point of the thread. To get it back on track, OP: glad you saw "Eyes". That's one of my favorites of season 1.
Three times IIRC. I'm pretty sure he was also in 'A Night to Remember'!

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Eyes (Babylon 5) - Another B5 episode that shows that the future of humanity isn't pretty, in fact, government wise, it gets worse. They had a colonel who was pretty much psychotic going around interrogating people with a telepath. I hope the "loyalty brain scan" isn't wide spread. Even for Babylon 5's universe, thats pretty screwed up. I get how it would be done in investigations, and it sounds like the regulations don't allow for scans without charges (even if the colonel tried to interpret the rules that way), but the fact that such a psycho could go so far is kind of freaky (not that I should be surprised, it seems like 90% of the politicians are corrupt, and probably 75% of the military). I liked seeing Jeffrey Combs, its always cool seeing him cameo in stuff, and I liked that his character wasn't a part of the colonel's insanity, he was just doing his job and stopped the colonel when it turned out he was unstable. The motorcycle parts felt like product placement, and were kind of annoying, but not a big deal. I can't say I really liked this episode, but it wasn't a bad episode.
JMS was very careful to establish that there are very specific rules regarding the use of a telepath in any kind of courtroom setting. For example, legally speaking you can't just have a telepath scan someone accused of a crime to establish their guilt or innocence. The presumption of innocence, the right of due process and the burden of evidence still exists and are very carefully guarded. Anything a teep sees while in the mind of a defendant is inadmissible in a court of law.

Most of what we see Talia doing as a commercial teep are surface scans between two consenting business persons in order to determine if a negotiator is being truthful or attempting to deceive. In those cases the teep's employer must simply take their word for it, but that kind of thing doesn't fly on the witness stand.

What they can do however is scan a (consenting) victim or witness to *help* them remember details of the crime, but again, the teep's own perceptions are not admissible unless supported by corroborating physical or overwhelming circumstantial evidence. The Psi Corps novels go into this a little more and it's explained that the reason behind all this has to do with a certain well known historical precedent (contrary to pressure from certain senators in Earthdome.) The (co)founder of Psi Corps didn't want to risk a similar backlash to his teeps that occurred in the wake of the Salem trials...not that he hesitated to use his teeps for some very shady dealings himself, but that's another story.

As for these "loyalty scans"; they're a new thing, mostly due to the social/political fallout from the Earth-Minbari War and you'll hear more about what's behind them later on down the line.

Last edited by Reverend; September 9 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote