View Single Post
Old September 9 2012, 09:33 AM   #44
Spock/Uhura Fan
Re: I thought Valiant was a very good episode

^ Lol. You're the one claiming to be sexy. How about some pics of you? (No offense, just kidding.)

By the way. I loved this episode. It's one of the best Star Trek episodes, period. For all of the people that are like "It was so obvious they were gonna fail. They were stupid and arrogant and that's what made this a bad episode," I think you're missing the point.

It's a wonderful display of dramatic irony, where we as the audience know that they are going to fail, but as a crew they do not. The tragedy and the real weight of the episode is seeing them realize, far too late, that they are not gods. They are mere mortals, and they are going to fail. The problem wasn't the kind of ship they had, or the fact that they were able to learn hands-on doing some special ops work. The problem was the hubris they were allowed to have by being "Red Squad" members, and it got them killed.

All they had to do was follow orders, and they would have been okay. Even Jake tried to tell them that his dad was exceptional, and even he wouldn't try what they were attempting. This is where I think Starfleet failed them, and this was purposefully shown within the episode. It was no mistake. You had young people who were told they were so great and they were under pressure to be great (like many talented and gifted people that are expected to succeed). The "captain" seemed to be under so much pressure that he was popping pills just to make it. So, there's a tale in there about drug use affecting decision makings skills as well.

There's a lot going on in this episode, and I think to just drum it down to "It's bad" is to miss what you are supposed to be getting out of it. It's very complex and layered, and I think everyone played their part very well. If you don't like it, then you don't like it, but I wouldn't call it "bad." I think you have to be more objective than that, but that's just my (arguably subjective) opinion.
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote