View Single Post
Old September 9 2012, 01:57 AM   #25
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: Title Possibly Revealed?

Kegg wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
And Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was perfect.
It's a show called Star Trek.

About a space station.

It's pretty much the most obvious example in the various colon titles where the 'Star Trek' bit was just a franchise signifier.

Not that I'm wild about the actual title either. Deep Space what, exactly? I suppose calling the show Starbase Nine just sounded lame or whatever.
Starbase Nine does sound lame as a title. I dunno, I'm sure they're called something, but when I think of a starbase, I think of a research outpost or the docking stations that the starships, like Enterprise, go to and land on in space.

Re: Star Trek about a Space station. There was enough "star trekking" that happened in the series, but by this time, I think they could afford to explore the journey within. Everything about the Federation couldn't just be fancy starships exploring. This was a great way to see what else the Federation does, and how they do it. It's also nice to see how someone becomes a captain instead of just starting out the series with a captain on a luxurious ship.

I also like the Deep Space aspect of it because it lets you know that this is far away from home into the deep, and that works on many figurative levels as well. Great title. Great show.

It was a Cardassian made station, so of course it wasn't going to have a name that sounded like something Starfleet would come up with initially,
The Cardassian name was Terok Nor. The name Deep Space Nine was the Federation's designation as other Starfleet stations with similar names have been mentioned - including Deep Space Five, which has the same model as Regula One. I believe DS5 is the only other one that's been seen, though.
Thank you. I knew that it was called Terok Nor under the Cardassians, but I forgot about the other Deep Space stations. Obviously, there would be 1-8.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote