View Single Post
Old September 9 2012, 01:06 AM   #21
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: My rambling thoughts on BSG after a full series run-through

I watched nuBSG for the charactez, including Starbuck, who was one of my faves. I don't need characters to be cuddly and likeable. Flawed characters who are well acted and reasonably well written are fine by me.

But I do need a premise to make fundamental sense. The plot never clicked because there was never a good, solid, sensible reason for the Cylons to attack humanity, at least not a rational one.

And if you're going to make a story hinge on irrational characters, then the last thing you should do is make your characters robots. How exactly is an irrational, humanoid robot anything other than a human being?

Ron Moore took the basics of BSG and crafted a new story out of it. I have no objection to that. But one fundamental part of BSG, the Cylons, really didn't fit the story he wanted to tell and the result was a story that made less sense as it went along.

He would have been better off either changing the premise even more fundamenally, or perhaps not pretending it had anything to do with some other show called BSG, and just created a brand new series under a new name. Maybe he had no choice and the BSG label was slapped onto the show just so the SyFy suits would be less nervous.