View Single Post
Old September 9 2012, 12:11 AM   #19
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Title Possibly Revealed?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
You know, back in 1982, people probably complained that "The Wrath of Khan" sounded too pulpy . . .

"They're trying to turn STAR TREK into STAR WARS!"
Hell Nicholas Meyer hated that title. He wanted to call it The Undiscovered Country, as the title is a Hamlet reference to death, one of the major themes of the film. He wanted that title so bad he finally used it in his next Trek film, which required Chancellor Gorkon to give the phrase a new meaning to justify the title.

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
I don't think this is the real title. Abrams and crew have been fanatical about secrecy and I doubt they would let the title slip out like this.
The secrecy has been impressive. I remember having a clearer idea of Insurrection and Nemesis at this point in production. I think there was even a leaked screenplay for INS, but don't quote me on that.

Also, regarding the colon: this would actually not be the first Trek film without a colon in the title. Both Generations and Nemesis officially lacked colons (see their respective MA pages).
In that case it's a semantic difference. Generations and Nemesis are the actual titles of the film, as is the case with Insurrection, First Contact and so on - with Star Trek put in front as a franchise signifier. For all itnents and purposes that's just like having a colon.

While, presumably, Star Trek Into Darkness is intended to be a single phrase. A star trek into darkness - it sounds odd, yeah, but Star Trek and Nemesis are two different thoughts entirely.
Set Harth wrote: View Post
Supposedly that nickname was forced on the third film by the studio,
That may be so, but I'd be surprised if The Dark Knight as a title was forced by the stuidos... as it was the first Batman film not called Batman or Batman Something. The Batman films have been similarly suspicious of colons, though (giving rise to the frankly awkward looking Batman Begins), so there's that.