View Single Post
Old September 6 2012, 08:38 PM   #50
Saul
Rear Admiral

Re: I want Data back...

Christopher wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Well being Data's an android you could get by with rebuilding him concievably, especially considering you have at least one copy of his entire memory.
Although the catch there is that memory isn't personality. Data has all of Lal's memories, but who she was as a person didn't survive in him. Consciousness is more than just information, it's a dynamic process running within a neural network. So just dumping Data's memories into a blank android body wouldn't give you Data, any more than dumping them into B-4 did. If it could be done, there'd have to be something more going on. And what you got as an end result might not be exactly Data, so much as a new individual that remembered what Data had known and experienced. The question is whether that would be close enough.
That's a very good point. Memory alone wouldn't be enough but while reading that I thought of other examples where similar things were done. With Zoe in Caprica and Arnold Rimmer in Red Dwarf. Definitely Zoe was different and growing more so. Rimmer retained his life essence though as supposedly his personality, skills and memory was copied.