View Single Post
Old September 6 2012, 01:59 PM   #58
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: Locutus and Ben Sisko

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^I thought it was fairly clear from their last scene together that he no longer felt about Picard as he previously had (and Anwar is quite correct, 'forgive' isn't the right word). It wasn't spelt out but I felt that it was inferred fairly clearly.
You're right, I kind of blanked out on that. It's obvious he doesn't hate Picard anymore.

Although, (and It's been a while since I've seen the episode) I'm not sure I took it the same way as you. I remember feeling the impression that he had gotten over it, and he had a new enthusiasm about his new job since it just got so much more interesting, but the fact that he didn't take a second to apologize, or even hint that he felt badly about what he said, made him seem a bit self centered and thoughtless imo..

I mean, he taunted and spoke down to a man for basically being raped and forced to commit mass murder against his friends and comrades for crying out loud... and now that he's all excited about his new posting, he's acting like "Hey don't worry about it dude, I forgive YOU for being raped..." Sorry but I think he should have been a bit more ashamed about how he acted towards Picard. Not to mention a Captain, which made him his superior officer.

From what I remember, at the end, he sort of just acted all happy and enthusiastic, but didn't indicate in any way whatsoever that he felt bad about how he behaved earlier. Sure, he shook his hand, indicating he may have respect for him now, as if Picard needed it, but he owed him an apology. Of course Picard wouldn't demand or expect one because he's a classy guy. I'll have to check it out again to be sure though. It's been a while and I've been wanting to revisit it anyway.
I think it's "thoughtless" to not consider the tremendous loss that Sisko underwent, but he just lost his wife and his son doesn't have a mother, so he should just forget about that and worry about how Picard is doing... Um, I really don't agree.

Whilst Sisko is still in the throes of grief from losing his wife, I think Picard could understand that the last thing on Sisko's mind was his feelings, Captain or not. Yes, Picard was a victim too, but that doesn't negate the fact that Sisko and his family were also victims and still dealing with their loss while having to relocate and re-situate themselves. With all of the problems that came with having to take the helm of a station that was falling apart and a hodge-podge crew that were just meeting each other, I don't think Sisko gave their interaction another thought, until later when he could afford to. And that makes sense.

I still think it would have been nice to see the two of them gain better footing with each other, to show that they'd both moved on, a few years later.

R. Star wrote: View Post
Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
...or even start to say 'Sir, about before...' and have Picard stop him and say 'No need, Commander.' Something like that.
Yes, that would be appropriate as well. Probably better than a full on apology.
It would have been a nice character bit on both their parts. Demonstrating that Sisko can admit the wrong and that Picard doesn't hold a grudge.

Really I never got any impression from that final scene from Sisko and Picard on a personal level between the two. It was obvious that Sisko was no longer disenchanted with Starfleet and found a purpose, but the rest really is speculation.
And I think that's what it was supposed to be. It showed that he was in the process of moving beyond his pain and grief, which was good for him. And as for Picard, well, with all of the genocide he had to participate in, he had to know that everyone wasn't going to be happy to see him if they lost someone due to it, so I think he was adult enough to get over it and move along too.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote