View Single Post
Old September 6 2012, 11:56 AM   #49
CaptainSarine
Commander

Re: The Great Star Trek Pocket Novel Reread

Since I've fallen behind in updating on this thread, here is a quick wrap-up of what I have read so far.

Firstly, I've decided to read in a more random order than I had originally planned, so have used a randomiser to jumble up the books. So don't be surprised to find later books mingled in with older here.

Star Trek TOS: The Entropy Effect

An interesting time travel novel, centering mainly on Spock and set during the original five year mission, The Entropy Effect was written by Vonda McIntyre. It introduced a number of secondary characters who would then appear and/or be mentioned in some of her later books, notably in her novelisations of Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock. The novel was well written, the characters instantly recognizable (except for Scotty), and it was intriguing to watch Spock and McCoy slowly figure out what was really going on and how to stop it. Recommended.

Star Trek TOS: The Klingon Gambit

Akin to The Naked Time and its sequel, this novel sees the crew of the Enterprise travel to a world which begins to affect how they act. In fact, it affects them so much that they are all pretty much unrecognizable. Only Kirk continues to act as we would expect him, for the most past, although he comes across as weak willed in some passages. I didn’t enjoy this very much, it wasn’t well written and the characterization of the crew left a lot to be desired. Not recommended.

Star Trek TOS: The Covenant of the Crown

Set in between TMP and WOK, The Covenant of the Crown has hints of a fantasy quest novel to it, dropping the characters of Spock and McCoy into the middle of a coming-of-age adventure to recover a lost crown. Tied in with this was the search for a spy aboard the Enterprise as Captain Kirk tries to make up for what he feels was a mistake made when he was a young Lieutenant. This novel was great, working on numerous levels. Recommended.

Anyone else read any of these three? What did you think?

In the next couple of days, I’ll post some mini-reviews of the next three books I read:
The Wrath of Khan novelization
Yesterday’s Son
The Search for Spock novelization