View Single Post
Old September 6 2012, 06:50 AM   #202
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

Re: Why is Nemesis hated so much?

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
I've only seen the movie twice, and not recently, so I'll defer to you about Shinzon's motives.

But, while we're talking about it, wouldn't it be more in keeping with Romulan philosophy to wait for the Federation to up the ante to a certain level before going balls-to-the-wall after Earth?

It would make more sense, from a Romulan point of view, for the Federation to fear them than to be destroyed. The resources used to destroy the Federation in an all-out war would bankrupt the Romulans militarily by the end of it. The Federation would be destroyed but at what cost to the Romulans?

Isn't "mutually assured destruction" what's kept the Federation, Klingon, and Romulan situation the way it's been throughout Star Trek? Shifting alliances aside.
That's what the Scimitar was for. It's not said in the movie but in the special features of the dvd/bluray the Scimitar is said to have only one purpose which is to destroy planets with the Thalaron Pulse. The Scimitar was built so damn tough in order to take a beating from other starships and still fire the thalaron pulse. If Earth fell the rest of the Federation would be weakend since Earth is the HQ of Starfleet.

Not sure if this was offical or unofficial but I recall somewhere the reason some Romulan commanders wanted to attack Earth now was about power and expansion in the Quadrant since the conclusion of the Dominion War. The Klingons taking heavy losses during the war, it was to come down to a conflict between Starfleet and the Romulans. Given Romulan nature to wait, observe patiently, then decide a course of action is the reason the Romulan Senate was killed. The Praetor didn't want to risk war with Federation, and after he denied Shinzon's proposal he was killed via thalaron.

Last edited by M.A.C.O.; September 6 2012 at 08:15 AM.
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote