View Single Post
Old September 5 2012, 08:01 PM   #38
Jeyl
Commodore

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season TWO Discussion Thread

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah some of the women's roles were fairly weak early on, but I don't think it warrants THIS much anger and vitriol. Most of the characters in general weren't very well-written until Piller came along.
I'm not really that angry, I'm just disappointed. I certainly agree that every character got a lot of low points in the series, but from the perspective of the writers, you could tell they wanted to make the lead characters clever at the expense of other characters. The episode "Haven" for example when Tasha Yar recommends using phasers to disable the plague ship, and Picard calls her out on how stupid the idea is. From the writers perspective, they think they're making Picard out to be the smartest person in the room who thinks about more reasonable solutions. But instead of the final product doing that, it ends up proving your point in how both characters are so poorly written. Yar's suggestion of using phasers to disable, not destroy the ship is a reasonable solution, and not once does Picard bring up the idea of using the Tractor Beam to anyone.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote