View Single Post
Old September 5 2012, 01:31 PM   #22
JJ-R
Ensign

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season TWO Discussion Thread

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
According to them, they are using a relatively new process called iConform (<--definitely read this page) to do the restoration work on Season Two (and others).
Wow - great find, Maxwell. I wonder if this service has only been established since TNG-R got up and running.

So we've gone from thinking that re-doing post-production on a video-edited/composited show like TNG was either impossible or too much work, to CBS figuring out a way to do it, to now a third party developing a technology and system so that studios can pay for it to be done more quickly and cheaply. That's a startling transition over the last couple of years.

It seems that a lot more has developed in the industry in this regard than we may have thought. It also suggests that there's sufficient demand among rights holders to convert their 80s and 90s content into HD that a service like this is deemed worthwhile.

Perhaps TNG is only the tip of the iceberg. Could The X-Files be next? And might the reduced costs of assembling the footage make the effects work for DS9 and Voyager an acceptable expense?

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Season 2 is going to drive fans crazy! That's all I will say. There's going to be no sitting on the fence with this release, it is a MUST MUST MUST buy!
I can't fathom what this could be, which makes me all the more intrigued. A swath of rediscovered deleted scenes? Shades of Gray re-edited with alternate takes? Footage of the TOS and TNG casts interacting during the filming of Star Trek V? I must know!
JJ-R is offline   Reply With Quote