View Single Post
Old September 5 2012, 08:37 AM   #61
Deks
Rear Admiral

Re: Why isn't Internet free for everyone yet?

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Sometimes I feel like people treat the internet like its a natural resource. The internet isn't water. You can't just go down to the well and pump yourself some internet. The internet was made by people, and people have to maintain it. They're not gonna do that for free!
We live in a socio-economic system where there's a pervasive rule: work, or you don't get to live (because that's what it comes down to) and in which idiotic myths such as 'money is the ONLY motivation for people' persisted for generation.

On a flip-note of things there are far more humans who do things in life for free... even things that are repetitive and complex (and part of their profession). Their motivation is not money (which has been shown to inhibit creative/critical thinking and problem solving skills) but the fact they enjoy the work they are doing.
Assuming that ALL humans work on jobs they fundamentally hate is yet another stupidity.
And Humans DID show demonstrate the ability towards helping others in areas they don't particularly enjoy or care for (again, they volunteered their free time and energy in these instances just so they could help others - I found myself in such situations, and I most likely am not the only one).

But as I said... if we used automation to its fullest extent... you wouldn't have to use people for labor, or at least you could severely reduce it to insignificant portions of time spent on any given task.