View Single Post
Old September 5 2012, 03:37 AM   #4
Christopher
Writer

Re: Dragons: Riders of Berk discussion thread

I haven't seen the movie, but I caught the preview episodes. I'm lukewarm toward it. The lead character has a very annoying voice. At first I thought it was an impersonator doing a forced, awkward job trying to imitate the original actor from the movie, but then I found out it was the original actor, Jay Baruchel -- whom I've vaguely heard of, but haven't seen in anything else as far as I know. I dunno, his voice has kind of a Wallace Shawn quality, but I like Wallace Shawn's voice. Somehow Shawn manages to wield his annoying voice in a way that makes it fun and entertaining to listen to, but Baruchel (at least playing this character) is just rather grating.

From what I remember of the episodes I saw, they were reasonably okay, but the world and the characters don't really grab me. It's no Kung Fu Panda. I'm not sure how motivated I'll be to watch this.

And why did they choose that title for the show? Why not just keep the How to Train Your Dragon title? As it is, it sounds uncomfortably, almost-infringingly close to Dragonriders of Pern.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote