View Single Post
Old September 2 2012, 12:29 PM   #990
Agent Richard07
Retired

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

235. The Losers: (✩✩✩½) - DVD - After being used to kill a drug lord, a special ops team fakes their death. Months later, they're hired by a mysterious woman and offered a chance to kill "Max", the man who set them up. Stars Zoe Saldana, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Chris Evans and Idris Elba and it's based on a 32-issue comic book series that ran from 2003 to 2006. I'd like to read it when I get the chance. Looks like the movie was set up for a sequel, but given that it bombed, that's not likely to happen. The movie itself isn't the best story-wise, but it's high on style and a lot of fun to watch because it has a slightly comedic tone. And Max, the villain played by Jason Patric , was a hoot to watch. He played the cartoonish bad guy to perfection.

236. Bangkok Dangerous: (✩✩✩½) - DVD - A hitman who wants to get out of the business goes to Bangkok for one last round of hits before quitting. Stars Nicholas Cage. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. It made Bangkok a dangerous and lively place, and I liked the voiceover that offered insight into how to be a meticulous hitman. The movie does slip into a formula and things kind of fell apart at the end though. I read that this movie is a remake of a 1999 movie of the same name and by the same directors. If I get the chance, I may check it out.

237. The Pleasure Drivers: (✩✩½) - DVD - Don't ask me what this movie is about. It's a little weird. A woman kidnaps a guy and takes him out to a motel in the desert while a college professor leaves his cheating wife and tries to hook up with a young nympho. ...in a desert motel. Stars Angus Macfadyen, Lacey Chabert, Lauren Holly and Billy Zane. I got this one after seeing the clip in the Lacey Chabert BOTW thread. It's not a good movie but I loved Chabert's sexualized character.

238. The Butterfly Effect 2: (✩✩✩) - DVD - The sequel to the Ashton Kutcher movie. It has a different character who can do the same time travel thing. I can't compare this with the first one since I haven't seen it since it came out, but I liked this sequel well enough. It's slow and a bit boring at first, but at least it's got Erica Durance to get you though that first bit. After the first half-hour, it starts to pick up.

239. D.E.B.S.: (✩✩✩) - DVD - According to the IMDb, D.E.B.S. stands for "Discapline Energy Beauty Strength". It's about four plaid-skirted school girls who are actually secret agents in the D.E.B.S. program. Their assignment is to spy on the elusive super villain Lucy Diamond, but things take a turn when one of them runs into her and they fall in love. I got this one mainly because of Jordana Brewster. It's campy but entertaining.

240. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - Saw this 1941 movie on TCM last night. You can read some further discussion here. It had a good hook at the beginning with a dinner discussion on evil and the soul, but the movie itself was slow and plodding.

241. Prozac Nation: (✩✩✩) - DVD - A Harvard girl suffers from depression as she deals with personal issues involving her mother who feels like she's sacrificed everything and a father who wasn't around. Stars Christina Ricci, Michelle Williams and Jessica Lange. Nicholas Campbell of Da Vinci's Inquest plays the father. It's based on the best selling book Prozac Nation, which is about the life of its author Elizabeth Wurtzel. I heard about this movie before, but sort of dismissed it. Then, last week, I looked up Wurtzel after reading a thread in the TNZ and saw that she authored a book that became this movie. Wurtzel is a fascinating woman. She's in her 40s and she's afraid of getting old. You can find her columns online. The movie isn't earth-shattering, but I'm glad I saw it.

242. Thunderbirds Are Go: (✩✩✩½) - Live TV - International Rescue uses its formidable team of Thunderbird vehicles to make sure a second attempt at a Mars mission isn't sabotaged like the first one was. Filmed in Supermarionation™. I didn't think I'd like a puppet movie, but it was surprisingly well done.

243. Fail-Safe: (✩✩✩½) - Live TV - During the Cold War, a bomber is accidentally given the order to drop a nuke on Moscow and Strategic Air Command can't stop them. Stars Henry Fonda, Walter Matthau and Larry Hagman. It's a very talky movie that takes place entirely on the ground, but it's got some good stuff about the dangers and responsibilities of having nuclear weapons. Then there's an ending that leaves you going wow! In reading more on the movie, I saw that a version was made for TV in 2000 with an all-star cast including George Clooney, Sam Elliott, Richard Dreyfuss, Don Cheatle, Walter Kronkite, James Cromwell, Brian Dennehy, Hank Azaria andd Noah Wyle. I immediately added it to my zip list.

244. Robin Hood: (✩✩✩½) - Live TV - Yet another retelling of Robin Hood. Stars Russell Crowe. Before watching this, I lamented the fact that this wasn't the proposed "Nottingham", a movie that would have been the story of Robin Hood as told from the sheriff's perspective. Too bad they chickened out and decided to go with this, I thought. Then last night, I grudgingly decided to check this out and liked it. It's the kind of movie you want to turn off half an hour in, but if you stick with it, it gets better. That happened around the one-hour mark (on TV with commercials that is). It also looked like this was set up for a sequel, something I actually wouldn't mind seeing. On a side note, Russell Crowe and his costars appeared in an episode of the Canadian series Republic of Doyle earlier this year, so it was fun to see them in this movie.

Theatre: 14
DVD/Blu-Ray: 92
Live TV: 95
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 34
Internet: 4

Last edited by Agent Richard07; September 3 2012 at 02:31 AM.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote