View Single Post
Old September 1 2012, 09:20 PM   #171
Re: VOY: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I'm giving this an "above average."

RE: "Death."

No, I'm not disturbed by the so-called "reset button." Look, ST is filled with alternate timelines, other dimensions, alien super-technologies, ect. It's not surprising that mortal "death" doesn't hold quite the same significance as it would in a universe without the aforementioned. The "nature of existence" is fair game for science fiction to explore, and it's been referenced in many ways throughout the series. It's canon. "Death" =/= "end."

Is it a bit of "fanservice?" Sure, but, I don't see how anything in the novel gave the impression that the characters were getting off scott-free. There were heaps of angst and emotional upheaval. As for KJ's resurrection "undoing" the character development thus far, Beyer isn't stupid. One particular conversation between B'elanna and Tom ("You can't put the genie back in the bottle.") hints strongly that Lady Beyer is very much aware of that potential issue, and has no wish to return the VOY gang back to the "status quo." Besides, as Chakky said, there's more the Federation has to worry about than the Alpha and Beta quadrants now, and the DQ is replete with potential.

BTW, I really enjoyed the way the novel lays out the pro-resurrection argument along with smacking down some anti-Janeway sentiment ("Janeway was selfish! Boo-hoo.").

Ultimately, this novel did exactly what novels are supposed to do: it kept me entertained and put me at the edge of my seat waiting for the next one. If there was one thing I hated most about Janeway's demise, it was that we wouldn't get to see Beyer writing for her. Kirsten M.F. Beyer has show a remarkable talent for characterization, plus a love for VOY that makes me confident that we're heading in the right direction.

Lastly, there's no point in "reviewing" novels that haven't even been written yet, so I say we just wait and see, huh?
"Warning: warp core breach a lot sooner than you think" --Voyager's computer, Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy.
Square is offline   Reply With Quote