View Single Post
Old September 1 2012, 05:33 AM   #490
RPJOB
Commander

Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

When did I say that?

But not every character does this every time. We have seen all of the characters taking dark actions. McCoy - a doctor - having killed his own father. Kirk kicking a Klingon into a volcano. Worf assassinating the killer of his son's mother. Sisko thrusting the Romulans into the Dominion War. Janeway doing a deal with her future self to get home early. And so on.

You have no problem with Kirk killing Nero while he was helpless.
And if Kirk spared Nero... and he started his killing spree all over again...?

it's nice to see them try.
He did. The offer was rejected. How is this different to kicking Kruge into the volcano? Nero caused more damage than Kruge.
Therin of Andor wrote:
Please don't bother with the sequel.
Is there a risk of Nero killing again? Of course. Is there a chance he could be rehabilitated, say, like Garth of Izar? Yes. Should they take the risk? Yes, because as Kirk once said "Risk is our business".

Kruge was actively trying to kill Kirk at the time. Nero was on a ship with a black hole forming INSIDE it.

"Captain, the enemy ship is loosing power. They're shields are down.

- Hail them now.

- Aye.

This is captain James T. Kirk of the USS Enterprise.
Your ship is compromised.
You're too close to the singularity to survive without assistance which we are willing to provide."

Nero was no longer a threat. Kruge was.

Worf is not human. I don't hold him to a human standard. He reacted appropriately for his culture. He did violate Starfleet regulations and Picard called him on it. He didn't have him arrested. He did't throw him in the brig.

Sisko was in the middle of a war and did something that obviously was very difficult for him. I didn't approve of his actions at the time and I still don't. Lying to get someone involved in a war lead to the Iraq war. If Sisko had no problem with what he did, why keep it secret? Because he knew what he did could blow up in his face and make the Romulans turn to the Dominion after all. It was a gamble based on desperation.

What McCoy did for his father was to end his suffering. he did it out of love. Have you ever had to give the order to remove a loved one from medical support? I have. It stinks. It hurts. It's something that you think about EVERY day. At the time it felt like the right thing to do. It still does but there's always a nagging question in the back of your mind. What if the doctor was wrong? Imagine how it felt to be the one to have to call your parents and tell them that their daughter was dead. That's a memory I shall never be free of.