View Single Post
Old September 1 2012, 12:33 AM   #252
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Re: TTN: Fallen Gods by Michael A. Martin Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Here's my two cents worth, and before I give it, I should point out a few things :

1) I don't particularly like Titan. After the number of TV episodes 'boldly going' it doesn't hold much appeal anymore - I prefer the political stuff to the alien of the week format (although 'Over A Torrent Sea' was a cut above the normal installments) and Voyager continues to do much the same job as Titan but better.

2) I quite enjoyed the Romulan War books and don't have an axe to grind with Mr Martin.

3) Seize The Fire was not one of the better Trek books I've read recently - ignoring it's other faults, it was still rather tedious.

This said, I liked Fallen Gods. Although it was a bit superficial, it was tightly constructed, moved along nicely and kept me interested. Ra-Havreii got a bit of character development too ! It's certainly on a par with most of the other Titan novels.

It's become a mindset of some to go into a Martin book with an 'OK, whats wrong with this one ?' attitude.