Thread: Ancient Aliens
View Single Post
Old August 31 2012, 10:45 AM   #210
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Ancient Aliens

The Castellan wrote: View Post
I have seen so many strange and amazing things to think that all the universe and beyond consists of only taxes and a 6 foot hole in the ground and then there's nothing. All we claim to know is really just speculation on our parts.
My personal theology is that the most important thing in our lives is relationships, whether that be lovers, children or some dude we chat to at the bus stop.
1: If we are all there is, god sure has a small mind and limited power...plus vey impractical, due to the fact that the universe is a rather large place.
2: If we are god's greatest creation, he/she/it needs practise, since we are not doing so well, and he/she/it is flawed right there.
3: If anything, alien life should make your god GREATER and all that.
4: The bible belt folks have a whole new species to try and convert and 'save'.
I absolutely agree with this. This is why I, naturally and perhaps narrowly skeptical about the existence of aliens cannot dismiss the possibility. It stems from a belief in something greater than what we see, perhaps no more than a faith or hope in such a thing. Whatever.. personal god, great net of energy, faux quantum physics.. they all point to it being rather more likely that there is someone out there than that there is not.

I answered this question recently when some troll IRL asked me if I believed in aliens (it was a dig at Star Trek):

If there IS a god, then what seems more likely, that we would be the only life god ever created or that in this vast universe god would have created more life?

If there IS nothing but evolution then what seems more likely, that we are the only planet that ever evolved life or that in this vast universe more life would have evolved?

So. I'm no believer but as far as the odds go I'm thinking we are not alone.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote