View Single Post
Old August 30 2012, 11:48 PM   #1
shivkala
Rear Admiral

BBC News: Ancient humans, dubbed 'Denisovans', interbred with us

So, apparently a newly discovered bread of humans, the "Denisovans" who existed around the time that Homo sapiens sapiens first left Africa.

The ancient humans have been dubbed Denisovans after the caves in Siberia where their remains were found.

There is also evidence that this group was widespread in Eurasia.

A study in Nature journal shows that Denisovans co-existed with Neanderthals and interbred with our species - perhaps around 50,000 years ago.

An international group of researchers sequenced a complete genome from one of the ancient hominins (human-like creatures), based on nuclear DNA extracted from a finger bone.
What's more, is that this discovery came from a fossilized pinky belonging to a Denisovan girl.

The pinky belonged to a girl who lived tens of thousands of years ago. Scientists aren't sure about the exact age. She is a member of an extinct group of humans called Denisovans. The name comes from Denisova cave in Siberia, where the pinky was found.
Is it wrong I immediately thought "Mitochrondrial Eve/Hera"?
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson