View Single Post
Old August 30 2012, 05:39 PM   #218
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Re: PICTURE POST II!

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
^Yeah isn't it just?!? -looks like something right out of Cardiff - - Oh, sorry, I mean: It looks like something right out of Doctor Who
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
What planet were you on when you took this?
It's awesome!
Thanks a lot, John and trekkiedane. Yeah, it does look rather "other worldly". Believe it or not, this is the City Hall building in London England, designed by architect Norman Foster, and the blue lit banister can be seen to the left/west of it (google satellite view). A little bit of trivia--this isn't the London City Hall administratively speaking (that's located in the Guildhall). The name has caused so much confusion, that for the London 2012 Olympic games, the mayor proclaimed it would be temporarily called "London House." How crazy is that? They never should have allowed it to be named "City Hall"... although I suspect it may have been intentional by the building owner, because the confusion would just give the building more recognition.

And for even more trivia, which I find a bit hilarious:
Wikipedia wrote:
The building has an unusual, bulbous shape, purportedly intended to reduce its surface area and thus improve energy efficiency, although energy use measurements have shown this building to be fairly inefficient in terms of energy use. It has been compared variously to Darth Vader's helmet, a misshapen egg, a woodlouse and a motorcycle helmet. Former mayor Ken Livingstone referred to it as a "glass testicle", while the present mayor, Boris Johnson, has referred to it as "The Glass Gonad" and more politely as "The Onion". Its designers reportedly saw the building as a giant sphere hanging over the Thames, but opted for a more conventionally rooted building instead. It has no front or back in conventional terms but derives its shape from a modified sphere.

Trekkiedane, thanks for the description about making bitters. Sounds really interesting--I'll have to give it a try at some point!

Last edited by Gary7; August 30 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote