View Single Post
Old August 29 2012, 07:33 AM   #57
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: "Code of Honor" Ligonians: Humans or Aliens?

@Nerys Myk - That's true, but I don't think it's definite gold. Sean Penn was nominated for I Am Sam, but he didn't win, just off the top of my head. If the performance is good, a nomination is probably likely, though.

@Romulus
I started to answer point for point, but Im just going to hit a few that stand out and call it a day. Youve taken the Oscar awards discussion far off of its original point, so Im going to just let that go.
Romulus Prime wrote:
See, we do agree...because that's exactly my point. It's also the same with regards to religion:

You only listen to the sermon and read the ancient texts, and if it inspires someone to do more than just listen and read, then it becomes more than just a sermon and ancient texts.

See what I did there?
I do, and youre still off. Religion is not the same as watching a television show. A religion is a belief system, and usually it is ingrained, especially if, as in most cases Id guess, it is taught to a person at a very young age up through adolescence. When it comes to inspiration, Ill agree with you on that.
If you think that completely unrelated statement is equal in any way to the one you wrote, then I don't think you understand what self-empowerment truly is...
The fact that you think its completely unrelated is troubling to me. it only matters if you want it too is the same as saying if I dont want something to affect me, then it wont which can end up being the same as what I dont know cant hurt me. I hope you see the connection. You can choose to believe that some practice wont affect you, and in a sort of keep a stiff upper lip kind of way thats true. In the larger scheme of things, though, that may not be so true. Often times, its not.
And thank you for confirming what I've been suspecting - that you want to cling to negative aspects in order to continue to be upset at something that may not even be significant anymore.
I'm not "clinging to negative aspects," they're just there in the episode. And it's still significant, just in different ways, and some the same. See below.

I'm half Mexican. My mom and her parents lived in a time when there was real and rampant racism from whites. Oddly enough, they carried no hard feelings against those who segregated them or called them names.

I've been called names too, from Mexicans who didn't feel I was "purebred" enough. I've also had it in a classroom where a Chicano History "teacher" kept inciting how "whites" and "Christians" should be ashamed of how they destroyed the amazing Aztecs - a people who (despite his noble depiction of them) were quite violent to their own people and others in their own right. Then there were the people I used to work with when I did field work, and (later) warehouse packaging at another place - all of whom would get on my case for not learning to speak better Spanish, despite the fact I was trying to learn Farsi.
Im sorry to hear about your experiences, and those of your mother and grandparents. You are beginning to give me an understanding of why you feel the way that you do, or at least I think so. You see what your mother and grandparents went through as the real racism. And I would not at all argue with you about that fact that it was real. The Civil Rights Movement and other efforts have really made great strides.

I would ask you, if you will, to research the history of how black people (and other people too, but here the issue was brought about by the depiction of blacks) have been depicted in film from its inception to gain a better understanding of why people were offended. I think that would really help. Depictions alone, if repetitive enough, can help to train people, unknowingly, to have a certain belief or a certain reaction in certain situations. I really would ask that you do the research.

So if you want to imply that I'm not too experienced in what I should or should not be able to identify as racism or racial insensitivity, fine.

But just so you know...we'll have to disagree about that.
I think you know what youve been through, and you appreciate what your mother and grandparents went through. I believe you know that.

The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself. - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote