View Single Post
Old August 28 2012, 08:09 AM   #546
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Re: General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

Admiral M wrote: View Post
WCW's biggest problem was reliance on talent in the 40+ age category to make up their main event - the only place on the card that really mattered there. They only made 2 new main event stars (eg, wrestlers who didn't make a name for themselves in another promotion like WWE) in The Giant/Big Show and Goldberg in the companies entire duration!
I can't see how that list would be complete without the likes of Sting, arguably synonymous with the name "WCW." What about Diamond Dallas Page? It's true he'd already been known for being a manager and wasn't exactly a young buck, but he was transformed into WCW's "People's Champ" at least a full year before The Rock made that nickname his own in the WWF, and was main-eventing not long after that.

Aside from any I might be overlooking due to it being rather late where I am, your point is nonetheless valid. WCW's legacy is arguably one of overlooking great talent (Austin, Foley, Undertaker, Guerrero, Benoit, Jericho, etc.) more often than embracing and developing it.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote