View Single Post
Old August 28 2012, 06:29 AM   #32
Romulus Prime
Lieutenant Commander

Re: "Code of Honor" Ligonians: Humans or Aliens?

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
Romulus Prime wrote: View Post
No, it is just a show, and like anything else, is made more than this by personal opinion. Now, I love most of Star Trek and I'll argue points and circumstances against opinions I oppose, but at the end of the day, I don't lose track of the fact it's anything more than a form of entertainment.

And yes, people do want to be victims when it's comfortable. I see it all the time AND have been on the receiving end when people assumed I was one ethnicity and not another simply based on my outward appearance.

IMO, the episode isn't racist one bit, and if anyone is trying to convince me otherwise, it's because they want justification for their feelings. But hey, I guess Star Trek is racist towards whites for casting mostly white people to play Cardassians - some of the most heartless and ruthless villains in Trek history. Same with Romulans and Borg too, right?

Sorry, but this is much ado about nothing, and perpetuating this myth about the Ligonians - an alien race I always thought were cool - is just another example of how to water down the meaning of the terms "racist" and "racism."

Now, it's not racist towards whites, because they are portrayed in a vast variety. So for all the negative races you mentioned, there were also noble and neutral races equally represented. In Trek, they never really showed a human (or human like)_ race being portrayed by mostly non-whites.
So I should feel the episode is being racist, correct? I mean, if I'm telling you I've never gotten this impression, nor feel that it influences my feeling one way or another regarding Black people, then what's the problem here?

It's kinda like the debate about the Oscars...whites get Oscars for all kinds of roles...but for African Americans, the major Oscars they've won has been only messed up people or maids...not generals or presidents or anything on that end of the spectrum.
Oh please, this reminds me of when Samuel L. Jackson's wife was having a shit-fit over the fact her husband wasn't in the center of a magazine covershot, despite the fact he was sharing the page with some of the greatest actors in history. Look up Morgan Freeman - 7 Academy Award nominations + winning a Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild award, then you have:

Denzel Washington who won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in Glory.

Sidney Poitier's Academy Award for Best Actor in Lilies of the Field.

Louis Gossett, Jr. who won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in An Officer and a Gentleman

Whoopie Goldberg who won theAcademy Award for Best Supporting Actress in Ghost

Cuba Gooding, Jr. who won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in Jerry Maguire

Jennifer Hudson who won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in Dreamgirls

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
...for African Americans, the major Oscars they've won has been only messed up people or maids...
Wow, ok guy.

Romulan Commander: "Danger and I are old companions." - TOS episode Balance of Terror

"Living in your dreams is like living in exile.
" - Calyx, A Stitch in Time

"Shame on you, Barack Obama!" -
Hillary Clinton

"It's the economy, stupid." - Bill Clinton
Romulus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote