View Single Post
Old August 28 2012, 05:54 AM   #83
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Who says anything about losing their awe for anything?
I'm agreeing with you. I'm just clarifying the issue for others.

Still, I will point out that "existential truth" is just a flowery term for "I don't understand it, so I'll just make shit up to explain it".
Existential truth goes to issues that we can't objective study and analyze. What's the purpose of the Universe? What's the meaning life? What happens when we die? What is love? What is good?

Atheist like to dismiss these concerns because there can't be an objective answer but they exist for people nonetheless.

Do they? You know this for certain? When I say I'm being honest you don't accept that I am being honest?
I'm not sure if you understand what the natural end point is. Many Atheists do but they don't want to express it. They don't want to say "We want to promote science and critical thinking and the natural consequence is the end of religion". If they said that the public would balk.

I can. It's good when people throw away myths in favor of facts, and I'm not asking you to justify the value of religion, I'm saying that believing a myth out of ignorance is bad, while accepting scientific data through critical thinking is good. It's not that difficult a concept.
People use to support Eugenics, the Tuskegee experiments, lobotomies and a host of all kind of bad ideas with that logic.

Science isn't perfect, data is never complete and scientists are both flawed and biased.

Even within evolution there was a crap load of racism and political ideology that took decades to remove.

If religion is only valuable if it is unquestioned, or loses value when questions are asked, what does that say about the religion and the people who choose to follow it?
It states that people are human. Some of us like the uncertainty that asking questions bring but I suspect that the majority don't like uncertainty and confusion. I think skeptics and atheist over sell science. It's what we don't know that makes science amazing, not what we do know. Science can never provide certainty because there is no certainty in science only probabilities.