View Single Post
Old August 28 2012, 04:11 AM   #71
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
I don't think the public schools should be teaching creationism as science. I also would never teach my own children that it is science.

However, I would take great issue if anyone suggested that private schools and homeschooling organizations, and parents on their own be forbidden from religious teachings. Perhaps require understanding of proper evolutionary theory to pass state testing requirements in science, since that would guarantee exposure to the other viewpoint, but I would not forbid parents or private schools from religious teaching. That is something that would be highly illegal.
No one is saying force kids to deny their religious upbringing in favor of genuine scientific study. Nye is simply saying that children who are taught these myths instead of critical thinking skills, grow up unequipped and unready to deal with the scientific community. He is right.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote