View Single Post
Old August 27 2012, 03:43 PM   #17
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

Yminale wrote: View Post
Please keep this civil. No holy wars.
Can we have secular ones? They are my favourites.

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
I think that a false comparison is being made in this thread, by equating believing in creationism with being a racist.
Of course, nobody did that. What RoJoHen said was:

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Whether it takes another 10, 20, or 30+ years, eventually today's children are going to be the ones calling the shots.

This doesn't just apply to creationism vs. evolution. This also applies to things like racism, homophobia, etc.
He said that racism and homophobia will go extinct in the same way creationism will go extinct: by new generations embracing different ideas from their parents (not that I agree, but still). But why stick to the fact when you can make up stuff to feed your persecution complex?

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
I clearly recall being about 5 or 6 years old, noticing the "apparent issue," and sitting down and reading both the science books and the Bible together, and coming to the understanding of what is called theistic evolution. I did not go to my parents and ask them this question myself. Simply being provided all of that information with the full support of my parents was enough for me to discover the truth by myself. (Emphasis mine)
Well, I guess philosophers and scientists everywhere can just stop guessing, Nerys Ghemor, age 5, discovered the Truth™. Lulz. I wonder when people will realize that "your" truth (i.e. what you believe) is different from "the" truth (i.e. what actually happened).

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
But I think that ultimately the point is this: leave religious beliefs out of school. If parents want to instill their Creationist beliefs in their children, that is their right, but the children also need access to the other side. This scares them because, all things being equal, the majority of kids would side with science.
This is also why homeschooling should not be allowed.

Last edited by iguana_tonante; August 27 2012 at 03:59 PM.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote