View Single Post
Old August 27 2012, 08:08 AM   #977
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

127. Visioneers (C-)
128. Vertigo (A)

Visioneers: This film (a dystopia in which people have repressed their emotions and begun spontaneously exploding as a result) has a few interesting ideas , but little depth or narrative direction to sustain them. It does have a number of supporting parts filled out by former cast members of Almost Live!, if anyone is from Washington state and old enough to remember that show. Zack Galifanakis is perfectly fine in the lead, but the role is so thin that his understated performance isn't going to receive much recognition.

Vertigo: It's hard to talk about this film without addressing that the Sight & Sound poll has ranked it the greatest of all time, so I'll just come out and say that it's not -- it's not even Hitchcock's best film. It is, however, a recognizably great movie and one I enjoy returning to (though, given the darker tone, not as frequently as some other Hitchcock pictures).

There are minor blemishes, of course. As he was in many movies of the period, Stewart is a bit too old, especially for Barbara Bel Geddes to have been a former college classmate (if she was his student, then he's not old enough). Actually, that might be the only blemish I can think of. People have complained that Kim Novak isn't up to her dual role, but in my mind she's perfectly fine.

Theatres: 44
Home Video: 75+1
Computer: 9+1

I've also just watched Steven Soderbergh's two-part Che; I haven't made up my mind about it just yet. It certainly wasn't the masterpiece that Carlos was, but I think there was something there.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote