View Single Post
Old August 27 2012, 07:37 AM   #6
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

Psion wrote: View Post
Meh. I'm not impressed. I was taught to believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, but the skepticism that resulted when I figured out the deception ultimately challenged the religious beliefs my family raised me with, too. Of course, exposure to the religious beliefs of the ancient Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans helped, too.

I suspect that some people are naturally skeptical. They question authority and make up their own minds based on their own observations and evidence. Along with that, a larger number of people are ... gullible. They are easily swayed by authority and are more susceptible to social pressures to conform. Whether they believe in creationism or evolution, the problem isn't what they believe, but the way they accept such beliefs without question.

I toyed with the idea years ago that the Middle Ages and centuries of persecution of skeptics as heretics provided a evolutionary force that marginalized people who carried genes that contribute to skeptical thought -- ultimately leading to a population prone to believing what they're told.
Still, never doubt the veracity of the true believer. The story of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are just that: stories. Children believe them until they grow up and realize their collective legs have been pulled. A Creationist believes wholeheartedly in what they speak, and that passion passes onto the children.

It is my hope that when a child grows up, he or she has long since began thinking critically (something that should be taught in schools). Then when the evidence presents itself, the child is capable of removing the dross and coming out ahead with the understanding that Creationism is nothing more than a story, albeit one reinforced, and believed upon, by millions of otherwise functioning adults. An admittedly appealing one, but unrealistic in the best of circumstances.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote