View Single Post
Old August 27 2012, 04:44 AM   #2
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

I have had a long-standing opinion that sometimes you just gotta let old people think what they want. I think we have a whole generation (or two) of "backwards thinking" older people that are on their way out the proverbial door. Whether it takes another 10, 20, or 30+ years, eventually today's children are going to be the ones calling the shots.

This doesn't just apply to creationism vs. evolution. This also applies to things like racism, homophobia, etc. My 90-year old grandma occasionally says the most racist things against black people. Is it worth it to argue with her? Not really. She grew up in a different time, and luckily we know better than to take her seriously. She's not even a racist; she's just a bit out-of-touch with the modern world, and so every once in a while you'll hear her talk about her "negro neighbor" and wonder why the hell she'd use that word.

So, yes, I agree with Bill Nye. Target the children if you want to change things. They'll grow up to find humor in how bizarre their parents' beliefs are.