View Single Post
Old August 27 2012, 04:25 AM   #40
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: Why was Sisko assigned to DS9?

Use of Time wrote: View Post
The Bajoran government was very much in turmoil before he got there. They were a "provisional" government at the time and a dysfunctional one.
And yet, they were functioning well enough to negotiate with a "high ranking official," from what you've said.

I'm not disagreeing with myself either when I say Admiral or high ranking official. (this could be an ambassador) These are two separate things.
They are (or can be two separate things), so I stand corrected.

I'm not sure that an Ambassador alone would have worked. They needed someone that wasn't just able to function from a place of diplomacy. It seemed like someone in a military command position was necessary, especially since military were sent to help secure the station.

I didn't recall the episode with Sisko's mother. Again, you could have just said "that was in this episode" instead of prefacing it with the condescending "um." I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong I just don't understand the need to speak to me like I am a child.
I wasn't being condescending with the "Um." That's just the thought that I had. I didn't know saying "Um," means I think you're a child or that I'm dealing with you in such a way. A lot of people say "Um," a lot. It's just a placeholder in speech, as is "like," or "Ah."

About the Cardassians, you had specifically asked why the Federation didn't invite them. Just because they weren't at war with them didn't mean that the Cardassians were open to actually joining the Federation. It just meant that the military actions were done.
Yes, but how could they really know that the Cardassians weren't interested if they didn't try? What ever happened to "fight and make-up?" The Federation is supposed to be enlightened enough to at least try to do that. My point was that the Cardassians weren't given an invitation because the Federation didn't think them worthy, and not because they didn't have artistic worth, etc.

Yeah, I'm all set here but you strike me as a need to have the last word kind of person. This would have been a lot more fun if you could kill the snark.
You seem to be gearing for a fight. I'm not interested. I said I apologized if I offended you, and it would be nice if you could do the same. Things would have went a lot better if you had addressed me respectfully at the go. You first replied to me (negatively), and not the other way around.

If you'd like the last word, then you can have it. I'm done.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote