View Single Post
Old August 27 2012, 03:50 AM   #38
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: Why was Sisko assigned to DS9?

Use of Time wrote: View Post
It's amusing that you call it a "no brainer" and then list political and religous turmoil as reasons that it took longer to admit them.

Again, we're talking about "why" he was sent. That "turmoil" didn't happen until after he had already been assigned there. He was not replaced by a Captain/Admiral by that time because he was their Emissary, and no one else would do.

Bajor's government was a mess long before Opaka died. Nothing "no brainer" about it. Hell, the first time we see Kira she is screaming at some member of their provisional government. She didn't seem very hopeful.

For the record I could care less about this mythical "Admiral" it's just that you dismissed it so flippantly without much rationale. I'm just discussing the fact that I considered the magnitude of that responsibility and respect for the Bajoran people to warrant the appearance of a high ranking official showing that the Federation is taking their situation seriously.
I said an Admiral or seasoned Captain wasn't required. If you think that was "flippant," then okay, but it doesn't change my opinion. Consequently, I'm not trying to change yours. It seems like it's "agree to disagree" time. I don't think that sending a seasoned Commander with a security detail to help them means that the Federation was not "taking their situation seriously." Apparently you do, so I'll agree to disagree.

By saying that there was no rationale (or that the rationale that I provided was somehow faulty) for sending a seasoned Commander, you seem to be pointing to a conclusion of the Federation being irrational in sending Sisko. Again, I'll agree to disagree.

You say you don't care about this "mythical Admiral," all the while saying that a "high ranking official" was necessary. This makes me wonder if you agree with yourself.

I am very familiar with the whole Emissary concept but if you are telling me that the prophets reach extends to Earth and they somehow are responsible for Starfleet choosing him then I respectfully disagree.
Um, that's actually in the show, though. Their "reach" extended to Sisko's mother. In the series, we mainly only saw them in the wormhole, or when the orbs were opened, but that doesn't mean that's where they only resided. Time wasn't linear for them, so maybe locations weren't set in stone either.

We have only seen them operate inside the wormhole or through their orbs. It's quite possible that when Sisko arrived the Prophets simply said "he'll do."
See above about their location, and about "he'll do." He was chosen long before he showed up and long before Starfleet sent him.

The reason we didn't invite the Carassians that were "artsy" is pretty simple, we just got done fighting them in a war and they would be involved in another one with us shortly.
They weren't in a war with them at the time, so it's possible they could have tried to "make friends" with them. Also, unless the Federation held a crystal ball, they couldn't know they'd be at war with them again.

Your last comment about discussing something that didn't happen because it would be pointless is somewhat ironic to someone posting on this board. In short, it's kind of what we do here.
Well, I haven't been here as long as you, so I can't say what's normal and what's not, but I thought we mainly talked about what did happen. That's what the majority of this board seems to be dedicated to, at least from my view.

Lastly, I don't know why you feel the need to preface every comment to me with some condescending comment like "You do realize that" or "you did see the series didn't you" or "you do remember that." I don't like to be shit on so stop it will ya.
I didn’t know why you felt the need to start off like that with me, but I can respond in kind. If I have offended you, I will apologize though. There’s no need for us to be rude to one another, especially if it bothers you.

I'm honestly ready to let this subject go anyway. You're not changing my mind, and it was never my intention to make you change yours. Peace?

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote