View Single Post
Old August 27 2012, 02:09 AM   #35
Use of Time
Commodore

Re: Why was Sisko assigned to DS9?

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post

Yes, I do recall them. There are many things about Sisko's story that are like that of Christ, but it is not the same story. He didn't die to save anyone from their sins, he didn't recruit disciples and swear off everything else so he could go to and fro preaching the gospel, he wasn't born of a virgin who was impregnated by the Prophets... There are lots of things that are similar, but not the same.
I would have thought it clear that Squiggy simply meant that Sisko was Christ-like, as oppose to exactly like Christ.
And that's why I told him it might be good to use a simile next time.

Agreed.

Yes, and the question of the thread was "why" was he assigned. That's where destiny comes in. Their Emissary was "sent" to them. The right circumstances just happened to come into play to allow that to happen. That's kind of how fate and destiny work.

Not if joining looked to be a no-brainer by the new planet in question, and not if the people of that planet had very little (if any) political clout. All they needed to do was to keep the Cardassians in line (that's what the security force was for) and present their offer of membership (a seasoned Commander could do this).

I would think that it would be the group work of a dedicated Ambassador and a major Starfleet presence possibly led by an Admiral to show that Starfleet considers their admission an important issue. I don't think it's crazy to think that an Admiral might get that kind of assignment. Do you?

I'm not saying any of these things because "I say so" but at least I am trying to provide some rational explanations for my thoughts.
And unfortunately, beggars can't be choosy. I don't think that the Federation thought of the Bajorans as beggars, but aside from some natural resources that could be traded (and membership wasn't needed for trade), there's nothing that they were in a real position to bring to the table. Offering them membership was also offering them help and protection. That doesn't seem rational to you? If it doesn't, then what great benefit do you think the Bajorans could offer the Federation BEFORE the wormhole opened up?

You provide this. "An Admiral? No." Not much to work with there is there.
You seem to be choosing not to read any of my other posts. That's okay; see above please.
The summary of your argument is essentially this.

The Bajorans don't offer a lot and wow they sure are a needy bunch. "Hey Sisko, can you go over there and just admit them into the Federation. You got this man."

Do you think the Federation is the kind of organization that only admits members into the Federation based off of their ability to add to their might? Every single Federation member isn't some military juggernaut adding to the military machine. The Bajorans were a deeply spiritual, artistic and unfortunately war torn people.

If it was such a no brainer then why did it take Sisko 7 years to get it done. Maybe they should have sent an Admiral Let's be clear, the Bajorans joining the Federation was never a "no brainer" they reacted very strongly to Starfleet's presence in their rebuilding efforts at first. They went through a hell of a lot before the ink hit the paper.

I actually do think the Bajorans had a lot to offer. They offered the Fed's the ability to maintain an outpost close to Cardassian space and they also have a lot of first hand intelligence regarding an enemy that the Federation themselves just finished fighting. Imagine if the Fed's blew off the request to help the Bajoran's because they felt they didn't bring anything to the table. When that wormhole appeared, who would become the 'beggers' then.