View Single Post
Old August 27 2012, 01:57 AM   #34
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: Why was Sisko assigned to DS9?

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^You on the one hand use the 'stars in alignment' symbolism, then in the next suggest that Sisko/Christ is a bad metaphor? Don't you recall the Three Wise Men or Little Star of Bethlehem stories?
Yes, I do recall them. There are many things about Sisko's story that are like that of Christ, but it is not the same story. He didn't die to save anyone from their sins, he didn't recruit disciples and swear off everything else so he could go to and fro preaching the gospel, he wasn't born of a virgin who was impregnated by the Prophets... There are lots of things that are similar, but not the same.
I would have thought it clear that Squiggy simply meant that Sisko was Christ-like, as oppose to exactly like Christ.
And that's why I told him it might be good to use a simile next time.

The most interesting of stories don't simply recreate real-life or pre-existing characters, but borrow aspects from their histories.
Agreed.

Use of Time wrote: View Post

No, it isn't my bad because Sisko was "assigned" (key word in the thread title) well before he ever met Opaka if you recall.
Yes, and the question of the thread was "why" was he assigned. That's where destiny comes in. Their Emissary was "sent" to them. The right circumstances just happened to come into play to allow that to happen. That's kind of how fate and destiny work.

Look, the Federation is an organization of over 150 planets. Bringing one of those planets and their race into the Federation would probably be a pretty big deal wouldn't you think?
Not if joining looked to be a no-brainer by the new planet in question, and not if the people of that planet had very little (if any) political clout. All they needed to do was to keep the Cardassians in line (that's what the security force was for) and present their offer of membership (a seasoned Commander could do this).

I would think that it would be the group work of a dedicated Ambassador and a major Starfleet presence possibly led by an Admiral to show that Starfleet considers their admission an important issue. I don't think it's crazy to think that an Admiral might get that kind of assignment. Do you?

I'm not saying any of these things because "I say so" but at least I am trying to provide some rational explanations for my thoughts.
And unfortunately, beggars can't be choosy. I don't think that the Federation thought of the Bajorans as beggars, but aside from some natural resources that could be traded (and membership wasn't needed for trade), there's nothing that they were in a real position to bring to the table. Offering them membership was also offering them help and protection. That doesn't seem rational to you? If it doesn't, then what great benefit do you think the Bajorans could offer the Federation BEFORE the wormhole opened up?

You provide this. "An Admiral? No." Not much to work with there is there.
You seem to be choosing not to read any of my other posts. That's okay; see above please.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote