Thread: nuPike
View Single Post
Old August 27 2012, 12:26 AM   #10
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: nuPike

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
I like both Pike's, and I'm glad that Pike is coming back for the sequel. I liked Chris Pine as Kirk too. I don't think anyone could have done a better job, FWIW. I don't think they wrote Kirk the same as in the prime time line, so I wonder if that's what might be bothering people. Anyway, Kirk worked for me, and so I've got no complaints.
Yea, I think some people are looking at the first movie as who Kirk is during TOS, but, it's actually a prequel to where he is in TOS. This second movie is more likely to end by giving us a Kirk closer to TOS beginning (In terms of experience and leadership skills). Where No Man Has Gone Before was not his first mission with the crew and ship, he was already settled into the position of Captain of The Enterprise when TOS began.
Agreed.

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
I liked Chris Pine as Kirk too. I don't think anyone could have done a better job, FWIW.
I could probably reel off quite a few names of actors who could have done a better job portraying James Kirk than Pine. People more professionally trained, experienced, and talented. One of the consideration on hiring Pine was that he was a young actor on his way up, and they could get him for the money they did. Someone like Matt Damon or James Marsden might have been a financial impossibility, but would have been much better in the role given their superior acting abilities.

I really like Matt Damon and James Mardsen, and I have no doubt that they would have given great performances, but here's where I see an issue: Chemistry. Each time I try to take Pine out and insert one of them, I just can't imagine the same chemistry that Pine had with the rest of the cast, and taking that into consideration is a part of good casting too, not just acting abilities.

You don't think anyone could have done a better job?

Lol.

I think there are some people that could have done just as well, but if Pine works out, then why bother? I think it also helps that, while I like Kirk and care about his story, I'm not deeply interested in him.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote