View Single Post
Old August 26 2012, 03:22 AM   #765
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

davejames wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I will say this episode goes a bit far when it comes to "20th Century Human Bashing." There's times when Riker almost seems amused by these people but he resorts to bad-mouthing us when they're out of the room, wondering aloud how humans made it out of the 21st century.
Yeah maybe they were all a little too harsh in their judgment, but I still thought most of their criticisms were pretty fair.

I don't think you can just chalk up humanity's problems today to us not being evolved enough, or simply "not knowing any better." There's clearly a LOT of greed and selfishness and stupidity at the heart of it as well-- and I think the show was right to comment on that.
Maybe it's just human nature to "talk down to the little guy"? What I mean is look at how people treated the Native Americans. They were called Savages and had their land invaded.

Still, it doesn't negate the fact that these are 20th century humans who don't know any better. If there was one thing the episode did kind of well (And again, I don't like this episode very much) is that it showed the human reaction side to being tossed into a different time and being "out of time and place". However, my problem is Picard seemed to not understand that bit. It's the same as what he said to Q about the uniforms in Encounter at Farpoint. People have different mentalities to them, kind of the overall make up of who they are. To criticize that is to almost criticize human nature and I don't think that's fair at all.