View Single Post
Old August 25 2012, 02:16 PM   #655
Use of Time
Commodore

Re: MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Skywalker wrote: View Post
According to Jon Heyman on Twitter, Carl Crawford has approved the trade to the Dodgers (he had a few teams on a no-trade list in his contract, and they were one of them), and Beckett has also agreed to the trade. Apparently all that's left is Beckett's physical.

Damn. Once this goes through, the Red Sox payroll will drop to like $45 million, I think. Or that might be next year's payroll (not including any deals between now and then).

I just hope they don't immediately blow all that extra space on bad contracts again. They need to go back to building up their farm system and developing talent from the ground up.

As for Valentine, he won't be here in three years. He might stick around next year if the Sox think they have a shot at getting John Farrell after his deal ends with the Blue Jays, but otherwise all bets are off.

And I'm not sure that the Red Sox will want to give Ellsbury a Craword-type deal even with their new flexibility. They've got Jackie Bradley, Jr. waiting in the wings, and all indications are that he's going to be excellent.
I think this trade all but makes it certain that Bobby V will stay on as manager. They are unloading some of the problem children here and I suspect they might move some more of them in the off season.

Also, man how do the Dodgers afford all of this. They went nuts during the trade deadline and now they bring in all of this. They upgrade everywhere.

Gonzo > Loney
Punto > Ellis

Beckett might be rejuvenated to be on a contender. Look what it did for Hanley Ramirez

Crawford is an upgrade in left. The Dodgers are ready to go all in this year.