View Single Post
Old August 24 2012, 10:54 PM   #1476
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

‘Babylon 5′ Creator For Pandemic series for ABC in development

The untitled project is described as a high-octane pandemic thriller that combines closed-ended procedural and serialized elements
ABC has put in development a pandemic thriller drama from Overbrook Entertainment, the company co-founded by Will Smith and James Lassiter.

Lassiter and Overbrook partner Jada Pinkett Smith are executive producing the project, written/executive produced by Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski and financed by Georgeville Television
Like with all Georgeville projects, the ABC drama has a script-to-series commitment, meaning that if ABC likes the script, that will trigger a 13-episode series order.
I think a pandemic offers a lot of stories and multiple characters' viewpoints like in Contagion. A 13-episode series would allow for great character development and thriller-like aspects like The Killing series.
I think if it gets the greenlight then the pilot won't feel so standalone and instead introduce a lot more characters.

also in the genre in preproduction right now TNT has a pilot shooting:
The Last Ship, with Michael Bay directing, will follow crewmembers of a naval destroyer who wind up among the last survivors on Earth after a virus decimates the population.
I guess ABC wants to get in on this genre. I have a feeling though TNT will do it better.

related:
the last pandemic film/TV series which was realistic but not great. I loved the music though.
"Contagion" virus thriller dir. by Steven Soderbergh
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote