View Single Post
Old August 24 2012, 08:33 PM   #63
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Re: Armstrong stripped of 7 TdF titles

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Well, as Alidar suggested people tend to choose their sides and hang on to what they're already inclined to believe. Didn't someone recently post links around here to an article discussing the ineffectiveness of factual argument in changing people's long-held beliefs and opinions?

But yeah, he's probably toast in France. There's that.
Not all opinions are inherently equal though. I've followed cycling for a long time. That Armstrong cheated, and always cheated, is self-evident.

People who still think Armstrong was clean, or maybe clean or even not-more-dirty than his opponents are about on the same level as people who still think Saddam Hussein threatened the USA with WMDs and had something to do with 9/11. Yeah, you're probably not going to change their minds, but that doesn't make them right.

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Deckerd wrote: View Post
For years in the late 90's I was reading about people who were totally inspired by this man and his battle against cancer.
And this foundation of his apparently raises oodles of money for cancer research, something like fifty million a year. Hopefully that doesn't take too much of a hit since it's worthwhile. Apparently Nike is sticking with him and it, for now - but then, they're running out of "suitable role models" pretty quickly over there, I think.
Link please?

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor....html?page=all

It's all about "awareness" (as if anyone isn't aware of cancer yet), not research. Awareness of cancer or awareness of his Lanceness?