View Single Post
Old August 24 2012, 08:01 PM   #1474
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral
Location: ...But it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete, when I wore a younger man's clothes.
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

I agree that this is one of the stronger romance episodes, to the extent that I think it's dignified enough to "frown at the clown" and demand a proper introduction . Which is to say, despite demonstrating the usual implausibilities of romance-of-the-week, there's enough of a point to this one to elevate it out of the RomanceTrek box. Perhaps it's because Odo is new to sexual relationships, and a person's first such experience carries with it the sense of experimentation that lets us overlook the need for a partnership to develop at a sensible pace. It's more an "Odo gains life experience" plot than a "character suddenly falls in love" piece, which makes it more palatable. Perhaps too it's because the underworld/intelligence theme brings to mind genres in which sudden sexual liaisons seem less out of place; there's a actual backdrop to the relationship, even if it is a rather cliched one.

I agree entirely that this episode would've been more effective if Odo were still a solid, but I'm perfectly happy with what we got. Arissa's final line is great, I must say, and I'm not sure I "got it" the first time. "I'll never forget you" sounds like the usual fare from romance-of-the-week, a somewhat hokey attempt to demonstrate that this character we'll never see again was a True Love, but considering what Arissa does for a living, it's both tragically poignant and darkly amusing. It also manages, then, to carry a (probably unintentional) barb that challenges the notion of meaningful, never-to-be-regretted-or-forgotten whirlwind romances. It's a truly DS9 sort of RomanceTrek.
We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, and the best of us is washed away.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote