View Single Post
Old August 24 2012, 02:47 PM   #74
Christopher
Writer

Re: VOY: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I'm not dismissing the views, I'm just not unquestioningly accepting the unproven allegation that they're widely held. If one person is going to assert something like that as a factual statement, then other people are entitled to ask for evidence to support the statement.

There is a difference between an opinion and an allegation offered as support for that opinion. It is one thing to say "I see things that way." It's a statement of personal taste and there's no disputing that. But it is an enormously different thing to say "The majority of people agree with me." That is an allegation of fact -- and more importantly, an appeal to authority, an attempt to say "My opinion is the right one because most people share it." So by making an allegation like that, as opposed to simply offering a personal opinion, a commenter is opening oneself up to questions. Others are entirely within their rights to ask for evidence to support the claim.

Written Worlds -- My blog

Last edited by Christopher; August 24 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote