View Single Post
Old August 24 2012, 02:16 PM   #170
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Re: Why is Nemesis hated so much?

Romulus Prime wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Yes different writers = different interpretations. Just like the Romulans of Star Trek XI possess none of the traits they do in past series' or movies. They are generic bad guy villains but you don't criticize them for being inaccurate to canon for their characterization.
Let's see, a race of people who are known to exact hard-core vengeance upon anyone whom they feel betrayed them just lost their entire effing planet, and the particular group whom we're focusing on blame Spock for not helping them in time.

Romulans are vengeful....check
Their homeworld is destroyed...check
The guy who was supposedly going to help prevent this failed...check
Nero (and his group of Romulans) feels betrayed and wants vengeance on the person they are displacing on, thus plan to equalize the loss in accordance with their view of exacting revenge...

....check.

Putting all that aside, NuTrek is a popcorn flick/reboot that's not trying to be 100% in line with what came before. The same excuse cannot be said of Nemesis.
Yeah because Star Trek XI couldn't have worked with any other Star Trek race. Any race had they lost there planet and families would be aggrieved and angry. Star Trek XI could've worked just as well with the Klingons or Cardassians or some other new race. Nothing in Star Trek XI in the motives of the villains was exclusively to the Romulans. The destruction of Vulcan you could argue that there was a connection there but there isn't as clear a connection to the Romulans and Vulcans as related races for the audiences to really get involved like we the fans. If Spock had promised to save Kronos (Klingon home planet i forget the spelling) and failed, the Klingons would've sought revenge on his planet first also.

I still don't understand why the Star Trek XI Romulans sport Darth Maul facial tattoos, but given that deleted scenes of Klingons involved them wearing Darth Vader like masks I surmise JJ thought it would cool to blend traditional Trek races with Star Wars. At least the NEM Romulans were keeping it real, bowl cuts and all.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote