View Single Post
Old August 24 2012, 12:50 PM   #357
starri
Lieutenant

Re: TP: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

And there’s another hole – where was the outpouring of grief from the survivors? Where were the people devastated by the loss? Where was the official memorial service, in which Asarem and Bacco might have waxed poetic about the momentous galactic events that had taken place at that station, about how it had literally changed the galaxy, about how it would never be forgotten? Again, are those not scenes that should have been depicted?
Chalk this up to personal preference, but the small scene where Asarem told Ro the station's loss wasn't her fault meant a lot more to me than a few didactic pages of grand speeches.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that those kinds of things have their place; Bacco's big speech at the end of Destiny was necessary. But doing that over the loss of the station would have come near the beginning of the narrative, and done nothing to advance the story. This duology was ultimately plot-driven with some nice character moments. Interrupting that, no matter how moving the prose, probably wasn't worth it.

"NEVER apologize." - Julia Child
starri is offline   Reply With Quote