View Single Post
Old August 24 2012, 12:39 PM   #356
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Re: TP: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Glad to see people are holding off on the torches and pitchforks. Still, the day is young.

I guess my problem is with what wasn't there, which led me to overlook what was there. And that's unfair to the work itself. Maybe if I were to re-read the series I would come to a deeper appreciation. I don't want to be unhappy with anything DS9-related, that's for sure.

I mean, Bacco and Kamemor are indeed awesome, and it's wonderful to see someone with a sensible head on their shoudlers in charge on Romulus, while not minimizing the resistance such a person would inevitably face from the hardliners.

And while I badmouthed the Prynn/Vaughn storyline above, its conclusion was delightful and mysterious and touching and just... right. All along we had this sense that Vaughn was hanging on for some reason, even if he wasn't actually there, as such. And he clung on to disembodied life for more than two years, so that he could save Kira in some way when she needed it. Some things don't need explaining, and I'm perfectly content to let this be one of them. It really makes me feel the connection between Kira and Vaughn.

As for the conclusion of Sisko's storyline, what I got from it was basically that he had misinterpreted events (which is pretty much inevitable when dealing with any prophecy-based storyline). He saw the Prophets' lack of communication with him as one of the bad things that would befall him. But Kira saw it as them telling him they didn't need him anymore, that he was released from their service with thanks (presumably they were satisfied with the role he played in the Ascendant business, and they didn't need him anymore after that). He saw it as "we're abandoning you," when he should have seen it as "we're letting you go."

But another interpretation that occurred to me as the novel concluded, was that the lack of communication by the Prophets could have been caused by the closing of the wormhole. That what happened at the end of the trilogy resulted in the state of affairs at the beginning of the trilogy, in a wibbly-wobbly way. They are after all Not Linear. And, with the irony usually inherent in these premises, it was the lack of contact with the Prophets that led Sisko onto the path that took him to the events of the end of the trilogy. Circular logic makes perfect sense when you're dealing with the Prophets.

Read 11x15 "NEVER SEE IT COMING" now, or download as a pdf or ebook to read later!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote