View Single Post
Old August 23 2012, 02:15 PM   #58
Christopher
Writer

Re: VOY: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoilers!)

^I just don't see how that's fundamentally different from before. In canon we've had Picard deeply traumatized by his Borg abduction, tortured by Gul Madred, etc., we've seen Klingon civil wars and Romulan invasion attempts, we've seen wars with the Klingons and the Dominion, we've seen Bajor suffer under brutal occupation and then struggle to rebuild itself while falling prey to religious fanaticism, we've seen Federation citizens abandoned by a treaty of convenience and turning to terrorism, we've seen Voyager suffer the loss of a large portion of its crew, we've seen the Xindi kill 7 million humans in one blow, we've seen a renewed surge of human bigotry in response to that event with the rise of Terra Prime, etc.

Fiction is not about routine or happy times. It's about conflict and crisis. It's about things going wrong, about the heroes struggling to survive and surmount terrible odds. So naturally Star Trek has almost always focused on times of turmoil and danger in the galaxy. The optimism is in how the characters prevail over that turmoil. So I really don't see how the current literature is so radically unlike anything that's come before.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote