View Single Post
Old August 23 2012, 04:45 AM   #51
Christopher
Writer

Re: Disney to Remake/ Reboot The Rocketeer

the G-man wrote: View Post
Good point. But remember what I said: just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean they wouldn't try it.
True. In fact, Wikipedia says that Disney originally did want the 1991 film updated to contemporary times, and Michael Eisner wanted the helmet to be a modern NASA-type helmet. The screenwriters won the period-piece argument by pointing out the success of Indiana Jones, and Johnston threatened to quit if he didn't get to use the original helmet design.

But like I said, I suspect that Disney's renewed interest in the property could be a reaction to Captain America's success. ("Hey, what's that other period film they said Johnston did? Let's take a look at that. Hmm, and we still have the movie rights to it? We could use that.") If so, then these execs would be more inclined to favor a period piece than Eisner was.

Though I might throw in some things like "They Might be Giants," where you have a modern setting but a character who thinks he's Holmes.
I don't think I'd heard of that before. I looked it up, and it sounds kind of interesting.