View Single Post
Old August 23 2012, 03:02 AM   #48
the G-man
Commodore

Re: Disney to Remake/ Reboot The Rocketeer

Christopher wrote: View Post
It would be nice if a movie remake adapted the Betty character faithfully instead of toning her down as the original did, but given that it's still from Disney, I doubt that will happen.
I could be wrong, but I think Disney was legally precluded from adapting the Betty character faithfully because, while she didn’t object to the comic book, the real Ms. Page would not allow Disney to use her name or likeness

Given how thoroughly immersed the premise is in 1930s culture and history, it's hard to see how it could be done any other way.
They’ve tried putting, for example, Doc Savage and the Shadow in modern times (albeit in comic books) and there have been many attempts at Sherlock Holmes in different time periods. Why wouldn’t they at least consider doing it with the Rocketeer? Yeah, it might not be good, but that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t consider it.

There's a very clear distinction [between comic books and comic strips]
Maybe, and I think your dinstinction holds true, but correcting people over it in a thread about a movie is a bit pedantic.

Should they have Mickey Mouse and Buzz Lightyear join the Avengers just because it's all under the Disney corporate umbrella? (Although actually that might be kinda cool...)
Oh, I would so pay good money for Buzz Lightyear in an Avengers movie. Slot him in where Hawkeye was and I’d have a nerdgasm right in the theater.

If it worked the first time, why not do more with it? The success of Joe Johnston's Captain America has probably created new interest in the original film, and the comic has been successfully revived by IDW, so this seems like a natural time to look into revitalizing the character for the big screen.
True. And, as others have noted, in the 22 years since the original came out we’ve had a lot of other characters remade and/or rebooted in less time. Furthermore, there is, of course, of history of remakes in Hollywood going back to the beginning. Twenty-two years between films is not a particularly egregious time period in which to amount a remake.

As for what kind of remake, if I might humbly suggest, they get Pixar involved and do something like this
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote