View Single Post
Old August 22 2012, 09:23 PM   #29
Christopher
Writer

Re: Disney to Remake/ Reboot The Rocketeer

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I also threw in the possibility of the Rocketeer being linked to the MCU when I opened the thread, basically as a throwaway 'What if?'
Yeah, but that's different from saying it's the only possible way for the project not to be a crime against humanity or whatever.

I've no strong views on this taking place and I'd be quite happy if it's a completely standalone movie. However, I think it could be done well, even if it doesn't have to be done. Instead of using Howard Hughes as the inventor, you could have it be invented by Howard Stark
Making Hughes the inventor was a conceit of the movie. In the comics, the rocket pack was created by the pulp adventure hero Doc Savage. He wasn't actually identified by name in the comic, to avoid copyright problems, but evidently Disney didn't think that was taking it far enough and replaced the character altogether.

(though I suppose given how young and vibrant he was in Captain America, there'd be no reason why he wouldn't be using the rocket pack himself).
Well, that's not an issue, seeing as how Cliff out-and-out stole the rocket pack so he could impress his girlfriend with it.

If it serves the story and helps the movie and they do it well, they could do it. After all, it's not like he's going to be interacting with all the other MCU heroes back in 1930-something. But if it's coming from the MCU stable and is promoted as such, it might help the movie do better at the box office.
But you could say the same about any other movie vis-a-vis a popular franchise. Why that franchise in particular? Just because Joe Johnston directed Captain America? Just because Disney owns them both? Those seem like tenuous reasons. How would it serve the story? And I mean the story, not the box office.

Though what I'd really like to see is a shared cinematic universe that features The Rocketeer, The Phantom, The Shadow and Doc Savage...
Well, there certainly is precedent for that, since apparently Savage and Lamont Cranston were both in the comics, though anonymously to avoid licensing fees or copyright infringement. So making it work cinematically would be a complicated and expensive effort. Let's see, Stevens's estate owns the Rocketeer, King Features Syndicate owns the Phantom, and Condé Nast owns the trademarks on the Shadow and Doc Savage (and is very protective of them, from what I can find online). It would probably be prohibitively expensive to pull together the licenses.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote